With an Ayurvedic treatment for headache, the idea is to promote overall health and wellness in the mind, body, and spirit. If you don’t keep your particular and unique dosha (mind-body type) balanced, inevitable health problems will develop. When you suffer a migraine or some other type of headache, this is a result of some underlying imbalance.
How an Ayurvedic Approach Can Help You Manage Headaches & Migraines
Whether your headache is caused by a side-effect of medication, a lack of sleep, your environment or some other reason, the following Ayurvedic tips can help you prevent headaches, and manage your migraines.
- Take a look at your lifestyle. Depending on your dosha, some activities, behaviors, and influences may be knocking your energy out of balance. The simplest Ayurvedic treatment for headache is to remove the influence that is causing it.
- Examine your sleeping patterns. An Ayurvedic lifestyle benefits from going to bed early and rising before the sun. This simple lifestyle change could solve your headache problem once and for all.
- Are you eating according to your dosha requirements? In Ayurvedic medicine, it is crucial to know your dosha profile. When you eat in such a way that you balance your mind-body energy, stress-response symptoms like headaches occur minimally, or not at all.
- Take up a daily practice of meditation. Yoga is recommended as well. Those two stress-relieving practices have been linked to lower incidences of headaches and migraines.
- Add the feverfew herb to your meals. Feverfew has been studied widely for its fever-reducing, muscle pain-relieving, and headache-treating properties. You can alternately take a feverfew supplement, or drink feverfew tea.
- Butterbur is an herb that has been proven to reduce the frequency of painful migraine headaches. In some studies, migraine headaches were reduced by an incredible 67%.
- Ashwagandha and Brahmi herbs are Ayurvedic mainstays to help balance the nervous system. Since migraines and some other headaches are often a nervous system response, these herbs may help you manage your headaches.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Headache Remedies
A conventional, modern medicine approach to a headache is to pop a painkiller. This treats the symptoms but does not go to work trying to identify what caused that headache in the first place. Many times, this means you have recurring headaches since the cause was not eliminated.
Ayurveda works to find out what is causing your health problems and then attempts to bring your energy in balance. This not only relieves your headache but promotes health in every aspect of your life.